Hi #GYNEGirls, #Preggos, and #GENTs! It’s me- Dr. Drai #AmericasOBGYN. Ya’ll already know that I am still busy balancing Werking as a DOC versus Werking as a media personality. I’m TIRED.com. Ladies- you know I LOVE you right? Let me just be honest with you. You gurls have been wearing me out in the office with this one. I get IT! You want your PAP smear done every year. It’s routine for you. I know. Well let me spill this HOT “Medical T” (TIP) for you. For those #GYNEGirls that don’t know, a PAP smear is done to screen for cervical cancer. I use a brush to scrape your cervix for cells. The brush is then put in solution and sent to another DOC (pathologist) to look at under a microscope. We- the OBGYNs- have changed our PAP smear rules. You are not going to like it BUT Dr. Drai will explain everything. I promise. Keep reading…
- Age 21: Ladies- It’s time to get your 1st PAP smear. MOMs- NO more making your daughter get a PAP smears when she becomes sexually active.
- Ages 21-29: Get your PAP smear every 3 years. If anything is Abnormal, you have to get your PAP every year. It’s okay- you know you want to visit Dr. Drai anyways.
- Ages 30-65: Get your PAP Smear every 3 years OR your DOC can order a PAP Smear + HPV (Human Papillavirus) testing every 5 years. If anything is Abnormal, you have to see Dr. Drai again in a year.
- Age > 65: Great news! No more PAP Smears IF you have had 3 normal smears within 10 years. YAY!
- #GYNEGirls who have had TOTAL (cervix was removed) hysterectomies for non-cancer: No more PAP smears for YOU.
- #GYNEGirls who have had cervical cancer: You have to get your PAP smears for at least 20 years.
Abnormal PAP smear? Don’t be SCARED. Let me explain myself. If your smear comes back Abnormal, you have to get a colposcopy. It’s NO BIG DEAL! You come to the office and I look at your cervix through a microscope. I put vinegar on the cervix and look for changes. Abnormal cells turn white. If Dr. Drai sees something Abnormal on your cervix, you will have a biopsy done- a piece of the cervix is cut off. It’s a small piece. No worries. I send the biopsy away to that same DOC so she can tell me if cancer is there or not. Most likely not…
I have told you this ONE before. HPV causes cervical cancer. Therefore #GYNEGirls If you don’t have HPV, you are not likely to get cervical cancer. This is the reason why you don’t have to get a PAP smear yearly anymore. YAY! You will get use to it. Don’t worry. You still have to come in to see Dr. Drai every year anyway. Your DOC needs to check your breasts for lumps AND feel your ovaries to make sure they are normal in size. For me, I ALSO need to check on you to make sure your mind, body, and spirit is still in sync. Life can be hard. You always need a counselor to chat with. That’s me- Dr. Drai; ALWAYS lending you my ear. That’s the REAL “Medical T.” Remember ladies-There’s no more PAP Smear Problems. Until next time…
OTHER POSTS YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT…
- How to Talk to Your Husband About Sex
- Can Losing Weight Help Improve Your Sex Life?
- 7 NEW Things You Need to Know About Cervical Cancer by Dr. Drai
- Happy 2nd Year Anniversary to Dr. Drai
- Dinner With Dr. Drai Book Tour
- 20 Things You May Not Know About The Penis by Dr. Drai
- 5 TIPs to Tighten your Vagina by Dr. Drai
- 5 Things You Need To Know About Plan B by Dr. Drai